Wednesday 21 September 2016

Support Crew: The Role of Parents in VCE


At parent teacher interviews I am always sympathising with parents that it's not just a student who goes through VCE, it's a whole family. Your child's stress becomes your stress, and no doubt affects their siblings and probably even your pets too! It is an overwhelming year.

I'm always interested in the 'types' (huge generalisations coming - parents don't come in types, they are as unique as students, but please bear with me) of parents who come to parent teacher interviews in year 12. Ask any year 7 teacher and they'll tell you that basically all year 7 parents attend interviews - their schedules are booked out. But, by year 12 the crowd has thinned and it's usually only a handful of parents who attend. That often makes my night easier, but it's disappointing too.

I think some parents don't come because they think it's important for their children to be independent learners by 17 years old (I agree) but come along anyway! There's still lots for us to talk about and ways you can support your child to be an independent learner.

So usually I see parents who:
A. Are super stressed about VCE and their child
B. Don't know what VCE entails and want to find out
C. I've met every year since I started teaching their child in year 7 and they mostly come so we can have a nice chat
D. Know their child is brilliant and hard working but enjoys hearing that (I don't blame them at all!)

All of those options are great - so definitely come.

The sad thing is that it's often the parents that I really need to see that don't come.

Here are my main messages for parents of VCE students:


1. Yes, they do have homework or private study they could be doing at any point in the year, so don't believe them if they say otherwise

2. They should still have some breaks and a life, particularly exercise and sports

3. English always counts towards their ATAR so it is very important, but they should also spread their study wisely so they don't get behind in any subject

4. Please let me know if your child is particularly stressed, their behaviour or mood changes significantly or if there is a major event in the family (death or separation in particular). The school can support your child and family a lot, but only if we know that you need it.

5. If at all possible you should read the set texts we've assigned and try to chat about them when you can. You don't have to be an expert or teach them, but it's really handy for your child to be able to talk out about their ideas to someone who has a vague understanding of the text. You probably won't have to say much, just listen and prompt their ideas.

6. If your child does not have great organisations skills, then personally I think this is the year to support them, not to let them sink or swim. Put a calendar up in the toilet and remind them to keep putting their SAC dates in it. Check it yourself and check in with them every now and then about their preparation. Be aware of any before or after school SACs and make sure they attend (and that they change their work shifts if needed).

7. Contact your child's teachers or coordinator if you are concerned about their progress. Any issues will still need to be addressed with your child, and preferably with your child taking a very active role in finding solutions, but you are still their parent and entitled to ask questions or seek assistance on their behalf.

8. Finally, the happiest, healthiest and most successful students I see generally have good relationships with their parents. Those relationships usually include parents having high expectations, regular communication and respecting that their child needs balance in their life.

This is an important year in students' lives, but it is just one year.

I often remind my students that as much as I love this subject, and I am committed to their learning, however, first and foremost I am interested in them as human beings. I think it's important that I remember that, that parents remember it, and that we encourage students to see themselves as more than their ATAR scores.




No comments:

Post a Comment